Monday, March 26, 2012

Gager Visit 2012

Have I ever mentioned before that I have been blessed with exceptional in-laws?  Especially the women.  My husband's mother is one of my best friends, and my husband's brother had the good sense to marry Carrie, who is just as wonderful as she could possibly be.  And if I didn't already love all 4 of them for their own merits, which I did, they all love my children to distraction.  How could I not love them even more, for that?  So it was with GREAT anticipation that I looked forward to my in-laws friends coming up for a visit.

They came up the Thursday before the party, and stayed through the weekend.  Friday, there was baking and cake-decorating and playing and exploring and dinner at Abuelo's.


Saturday was the party, and in the morning everyone chipped in to get everything ready.  Carrie in particular was a God-send.  She did ALL of the food prep while I ran around like an idiot frosting cupcakes, sewing ruffles, and I forget what else.  And everyone else helped out with everything else.  

Sunday was a relaxed day.  We stacked all the new toys and clothes off to one side, because I just wasn't ready to tackle finding homes for everything.  Then Papa and Gigi put together the girls' new easel, and Elora got to spend the morning painting. 


In the afternoon, the guys went for burgers and beer while Carrie, Staria, and I took the girls to see their first in-the-theater movie: the Lorax.  It was awesome.  Kaylie got a bit restless during the movie, so I spent part of the time standing with her at the back of the theater, but Elora was riveted the entire time.  And at the end, when the truffula tree started to grow, Elora jumped from Gigi's lap, bounced up and down, and said over and over, "It's growing, it's growing! Look, mama, look!  It's growing!" loud enough for everyone in the entire theater to hear her.  It was the cutest thing I have ever seen.   


James and Carrie had to head back Monday morning, but Staria and Jimmy stayed with us another day.  Brandon was able to get off from work early, so we all loaded up and headed to Virginia Beach to see the Aquarium.  
 
 
 

It was really neat.  They had animals from all over, but they really focused on the local ecosystem and natural history. They had exhibits on everything from local geology to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel.  Did you know that Chesapeake Bay was formed in part by a large impact crater?  Or that the Chesapeake Bay watershed includes 6 states, ranging all the way up to New York?  Neither did I, until we visited the Aquarium.  Too cool.



1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful weekend! Glad you had your family to celebrate with you!

    ReplyDelete