Tuesday, November 6, 2007

it's hard to believe...

...that my neice, Veronica, is a little over 4 months old.

...that I have been in Germany for more than a month.

...that Christmas is less than 2 months away.

*sigh* time just flies, doesn't it? But I am having an awesome time here, and I'm incredibly busy, so I suppose that it makes sense. I was talking to mom about it last night, actually. I've been doing so many new things, and meeting so many new people, that it's been kind of a non-stop roller coaster ride for me. It's been amazing, I just wish that I had everyone from home, or at least someone else from home, here to share it with me.

Not that Brandon doesn't count. He does. But he's currently in Vilseck learning how to deal with hazardous materials, so I've been doing the solo thing for a week or two now. It hasn't been bad, though. Sarah and Peguy have been keeping me company, I've interacted with the landlords (who are awesome, btw) almost everyday, and Bran got to come home over the weekend.

It's amazing how quickly a place can become home. We've only lived there for about a week, and it already feels like home. I've been working my arse off, though, to make it that way. I've unpacked most of the boxes, and I've gotten the entire downstairs pretty much settled. I've painted our bedroom, my craft room, and I'm almost through painting the Mannex (Bran's computer room, which he's dubbed "the Man Annex", or simply, "the Mannex). When I get that done, then I'll move on to getting all of my craft supplied organized in the craft room, and try to bring some sort of order to the Mannex. Currently, both are a mess of half-filled boxes, but the Mannex also contains a confused jumble of wiring, tools, computer hardware, and other such...stuff. So.

But all the work has been worth it, because the house looks great and feels like home. Han has certainly settled right in. He's already begun his campaign to spread cat litter throughout the whole of the house, and if I didn't sweep every other day, he would have by now succeeded. All of the flooring is either hard wood or tile, and he's discovered that not only do his toys go farther over the smooth surface than they did over the carpet, but he slides easily over it as well. It's quite entertaining to watch him zooming around the living room,chasing after little felt mice and trying to make sure that his hind quarters don't slide out from under him when he tries to turn. (Incidentally, he doesn't often succeed in that last one.) He's definitely another of the elements that makes the great big apartment feel like home.

It's looking like I'm going to get a job at one of the banks on base. Not the base where Bran works, unfortunately, but that's ok. They're less then 10 minutes apart, so who can complain? It's not a done deal, by any stretch of the imagination, but they definitely need people, the supervisor seemed very pleased to receive my application, and something tells me that I am fully qualified for the position of bank teller. It's what I want, because even though it doesn't use my degree at all, the hours are good (part time banking hours) and the pay is decent ($10.50 p/h, starting). So, keep your fingers crossed for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment