Friday, April 17, 2009

3 Weeks!

Time is a funny thing. Sometimes, it seems to drag by at a snail's pace, while at others it passes so fast that you hardly have time to blink. Strangest, though, is when it does both at the same time. It doesn't feel like it's been 3 weeks since Elora was delivered into our lives, but it has been. The days are going by so quickly! And yet, it feels as if Elora has always been here. It's weird.

In 3 weeks, Elora has gained more than a pound and a half, and is 3/4" taller (longer?) than she was when she was born. She's experienced her first Easter, gone for her first walk (I did all the actual walking), had her first doctor's check up. A lot can happen in just 3 weeks.

This picture is from our Easter stroll around Hildrizhausen. It silly that it's taken us this long to finally get out and explore our town, but we finally did it. Easter Sunday was an absolutely gorgeous day for a walk. We put Elora into her little harness, and just went. I'm hoping that it will become a common occurrence, when the weather is nice anyway. We went again on Monday, and hopefully it will be nice enough for us to go tomorrow. We have a stroller now, so it should be even better.

Her visit to the doctor's yesterday went well, but it was nerve wracking for me and painful for her. In addition to all the normal check up stuff that I was expecting, they also did a hearing test, a PKU (heel prick), and a vitamin K shot. The hearing test was simply unpleasant; she fussed and squirmed and it took them 3 or 4 tries to get the results she needed. But who could blame her? They kept sticking this metal probe in her ear and playing (what I assume were) annoying noises. The heel prick was the worst, though I think she screamed louder for the shot. At least the shot was brief. For the PKU, though, the lab tech had to squeeze enough blood out of her pricked heel to cover 4 dime-sized circles on this special paper. She screamed her poor little head off the whole time. At least she conked right out between torture sessions. I guess all that screaming wore her out? Anyway, I hated the whole affair.

After we left the clinic, we walked over to The Shop to visit with everyone there. It was great to sit and relax with friends after the stress of the morning. Elora just snoozed the whole time, completely oblivious to the people passing her around and fawning over her. I was actually there Thursday as well (I really just can't stay away) and I snapped quite a few photos over the two visits. I haven't managed to see everyone there yet, but I'm working on it.


  1. Oh man I missed you guys!!!! I'll be back next week. Hint hint.

  2. Had fun with you guys!!! She's a doll.