Thursday, April 12, 2012

Springy Things

We went to the park.


The girls got a visit from the Easter bunny. (Tutus and white bunny ears courtesy of Papa & Gigi; they were part of Elora's Christmas 2 years ago.  They just now fit!)


And we've taken on a family project.  As you can see, our yard is in pretty sad shape.  


We've done little more than push a lawn mower through it and rip out a few weeds since we moved in.  A gentle nudge from our POA about the unsightly weeds in the front planter spawned a discussion about our lawn, and we decided to take it in hand.  We went this past weekend to scout out materials, make plans, and acquire some new toys tools for Brandon.


So far, we've mowed, trimmed, edged, weeded, put down turf builder, and started the trench for planter edging.  This weekend, we're hoping to finish installing that edging strip, put in some low ever-green bushes between the larger ones along the front foundation line, and put down some new mulch.  Eventually we'll be extending the front planter around the other side of the house, replace the plants along the drive way, get rid of the weeds throughout the lawn and put down grass seed, build a fence, and plant a vegetable garden in the back.
Ambitious, I know.
It'll be a long process, but I'm actually looking forward to it.  I'm excited to have a full, plush yard for the girls to play in, for one thing.  And for another, I like the idea of all of us working together toward a common goal like this.  I like it a lot.  For all that we've been together for so long, Brandon and I don't have a whole lot of common ground.  He provides, I manage the home.  He's into electronics, and I like arts & crafts.  He likes to watch movies, and unless it's something that I specifically want to watch, I have to be coerced, even though I almost always end up liking the movies he chooses for us.  I read (books) whenever I can, while he generally reads (books) only a little before bed. Of course there is overlap, especially with respect to our children. But this is something productive that we can do together, and we can bring the girls out to play while we work.  
Our goal is to put at least a few hours into it every weekend.  (We had better!  After what we spent on his new tools, they had better see some use!)  I'll be posting pictures periodically, to measure our progress.  



3 comments:

  1. I love house/yard projects! Especially because everyone is involved! Can't wait to see what you guys accomplish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. we're working on ours too. i weeded out our front garden a few weeks again and david is prepping the front for grass plugs. and we're attempting veggies in the side yard

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's exaushting and rewarding. I look forward to seeing what you do!
    I need to post our ( my husband's) progress......

    ReplyDelete