Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Down for the Count

Well, for now anyway.  The last couple of weeks have been interesting for us.  In the 25 days since the start of the new year, I have made three trips trips to the ER, and many more trips to see various doctors.  Everyone got sick while we were in FL; Brandon and Elora got sick right before we had to leave to come home.  My mom and I spent New Year's Day in the ER with Elora, because she was running a 102° fever and refused to eat, drink, or take Tylenol, while Brandon spent that day in bed with the same fever.  (At least I could get him to take something for it.).   They both seemed to be getting better, until precisely a week later, when Elora broke out in giant hives for no apparent reason and we spent another few hours in the ER.  

They gave us some Benadryl for her, and they did quit coming back after a few days but she continued to be abnormally fussy and lethargic.  Then, when we followed up with her doctor a few days later, we found out that #1, the hives were likely caused by the same virus that had her in the ER the first time, and #2, that she had infections going in both ears.   Who knew?  She should have been screaming constantly, but she was only fussy and lethargic.  That child is a tank, I swear.  Anyway, the doc put her on a round of antibiotics and she started to improve almost immediately.  Which is good, because then I started to get sick.  It was minor at first, and went away after a few days.  Saturday night, it came back out of no where and hit me with all the force of an out-of-control speeding MAC truck.  It hasn't eased up in the least since then, but at least now (after a visit to my OB doc) I have a better cough syrup that should at least let me sleep at night.  And then, to top it all off, we had to take Brandon in to the ER last night because he somehow injured his shoulder and was in so much pain he couldn't stand up straight.  (More thanks to Rebekah, who came over at 10 o'clock last night to stay with Elora while we went to the hospital--even though her husband was going out of town this morning and she had to be up at 4 to drop him off.)  At this point, he's still popping both Vicodin and Mortin to control the pain, and I am still downing Robitussin and Tylenol at regular intervals just to stay vertical.  At least Elora seems to be at 100%, for now.  

All of that, just in the last 25 days...  If I cry "uncle", do you think maybe the universe will let up on us for a bit?  Ugh.  I'm thinking that I'm just going to stay down on the mat and take it easy for a bit, at least through the count of 10.  Hopefully, then, I'll be back in fighting form by the time I go into labor.

It hasn't been all bad, though.  My pregnancy is going just fine (thank you God), and there has been a lot of up in with all the down


  1. Poor baby! And poor all of you, that is a really rough month! But at least everything is still going well and you can see the positives. Get lots of rest!

  2. sorry you all have felt so rotten! I hope you start feeling better soon!

  3. Its terrible when everyone in the house is sick! Maybe now that you had 25 days of horrible you will have 25 days of fantastic!