Thursday, April 8, 2010

Prayers, Please

*Note: I got behind in my blogging, so I posted 3 entries in a row today; the first 2 are back-dated.  You might like to go back and read them in order.
 

My grandmother was admitted to the hospital on Tuesday to be treated for a perforated bowel.  They removed part of her colon yesterday, and she is now recovering in ICU; the next few days are pivotal.  Most of my family --all 5 of her living children, and many of her grandchildren-- have gathered to be with her.  I want desperately to be there, but as it stands, she is not critical and if things did get bad, there is no way I could be there in time to see her.  At this point, either she will recover and I will be able to see her when we go home this fall, or, well, I don't want to talk about the "or".


Each member is equally dear to me, but they each have their own special places in my heart.  This is the Grandmother who kept my sister and me when my (single parenting) mom had to work evenings; this is the Grandmother  we spent our summers with; this is the Grandmother who taught me to sew, crochet, and embroider.  We have not always agreed or gotten along, but she has loved me unconditionally and been a stable element in my life for as long as I can remember.  She is strong and principled; has endured the loss of her parents, her siblings, her husband, and her oldest son.  I love, respect and admire her in ways that words cannot express.  
I know it is unlikely that that worst will happen (Thank you God!), and I am very likely over reacting.  I just feel so isolated, so impotent here, while the rest of my family is there with her.  My mom tells me that they feel impotent there, too.   I just want to hold her hand, and tell her that I love her.

Thank you, Brandon, for letting my cry on your shoulder.  Thank you Elora, for snuggling in my lap.  Thank you to my family, for keeping me there in spirit if not in flesh.  And thank you to all of my friends and acquaintances, who have been so supportive to me the past 2 days.  Please continue to keep my grandmother and our family in your thoughts and prayers as she recovers.

6 comments:

  1. My thoughts are with you and with her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is just something about some grammas... I'm thinking about you and her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about your grandmother. Hope things go well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry you can't be with your family right now. Even if you can't actually "do" anything to change the situation, I know you want to be there just to hug everyone and be hugged back.

    ReplyDelete