Friday, November 12, 2010

Fall

Fall is lovely here in Virginia.  The weather has been sunny and cool, and the changing trees are just gorgeous.  This one is right outside my dining room window, and it's changing in a gradient from one side to the other.  It's been neat to watch the colors shift.  These photos are of the same tree, and they were taken at the same time!  I didn't know one tree could sport so many colors at once.


We're still working on getting the house settled.  Of course.  Most recently, we've been hanging pictures Brandon's been hanging pictures and I've been organizing and finding homes for things.  I don't remember this process taking quite this long last time.  Maybe time has dulled the memories?  Or maybe it didn't take as long, because we had less stuff? Or because we didn't have a toddler to keep track of?  Or because I wasn't pregnant?  Hm. Maybe all four. There is a lot of stuff I'd like to do around here, including getting some color on the walls, but for now I'd be happy with getting rid of the last of the boxes and settling all the clutter. 

We still have not found the hardware for Elora's crib.  I can't imagine what could have happened to it, but I am placing all of the blame on the terrible movers who packed up our house in Germany.  (Seriously, don't even get me started on what a terrible job they did.  I could go on for a while.)  We already have a toddler bed for her, though--thanks again, Rebekah, for snagging that for us!!--so I got that put together.

 

She loves it!!!  It just too bad that we can't keep her in it long enough for her to fall asleep.  She's still sleeping in her pack'n'play, the poor thing.  If we ever do find that hardware, we'll have to get another mattress for the crib, since Elora's crib mattress is now Elora's toddler bed mattress.  (If we don't, then we'll need another crib to go with that new mattress!!)


She's loving having her toys and such back, and it is so wonderful to see her settling in here.  She's back to being able to entertain herself for longer periods of time.  I can tell that she likes having a space that's all hers, with the option to bring her toys out into the rest of the house.


This is actually the last thing that I did at the shop before leaving Germany.  I got a set of frog note cards in high school, and I have been hoarding, them ever since.  When I got down to just 2, it finally occurred to me that I could just frame one, and then I would have it to look at and enjoy, forever.  So with the help of the wonderful and talented Paula-in-the-Frameshop, I got it framed!  (Translation, Paula did all the hard stuff, and I did the things that wouldn't potentially cost me an untrained finger.)  It survived the move and is now hanging above my night stand.  It matches the colors in my bedroom perfectly!  I love, love, love it!  Thank you so much Paula, you're amazing.  :)

5 comments:

  1. Glad you got your stuff! Sorry about the crib but she's probably about ready to jump out of it huh? Both of my kids were in toddler beds before they were one because they could escape and it was dangerous. Glad you're getting settled! You'll have to show us your remodel projects too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty! I'm glad your enjoying your surroundings so much! Elora is so very cute and so huge now!! Keeping them in any sort of bed at this age is just toooo fun! ha ha.

    Love seeing your new home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the fall pictures! Can't wait to see what you do with the house! And your new blog layout is really pretty... at least I think it's new...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's funny about he crib hardware! I've heard of people missing the hardware to stuff. I'm stillm issing a box of some of the girls wall decorations. it's here somewhere...I hope.

    Emily didn't really try to get out of the crib so we kept her in there as long as we could. She was really good about staying in the toddler bed at night when we finally moved her (about 2.5 years old). Now Ava on the other hand.... she's a jumper so we took out her mattress and all was well with that and then she must have grown just enough to throw that leg over because she gets out again! She has been staying put though for the last week so maybe she's over it. She won't sleep in her toddler bed at all. She gets up and plays and flips the lights on and off and laughs and pokes emily, etc. so she will stay in the crib as long as we can get her to stay in there. So all that to say, put the crib matteress back in her crib (when you get hardware) and keep her there till she's a hazard to herself!

    The trees are beautiful!! Your whole area is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, ladies! And yes, Jess, it is a new blog layout, in honor of fall. I'll redecorate again, for Christmas this time, after Thanksgiving. :)

    Jen, I have no idea how we are going to get her to sleep in her toddler bed. I'm thinking we need to cross that bridge before the new baby gets here, but I'm at a loss. Any of you veteran moms have any advice?

    ReplyDelete