Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Carrot Cake

You may or may not remember my carrot cake fiasco from this summer, but I certainly do.  I could not believe how hard that silly cake fought to stay in the pan, or how badly it fell apart.  Frosting that thing was such a nightmare.  But just to set the record straight, I'd like to go ahead and prove that I can bake a cake, and successfully get it out of the pan in one piece.


I even made this one from scratch, which I didn't have the time to do when I was in Alabama.  I used the Best Ever Carrot Cake and Cream Cheese Frosting recipes from our giant Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook.  Shredding all those carrots takes forever, but it's definitely worth the time, and the orange hands.  Next time, though, I will alter the frosting recipe a bit.  It calls for both cream cheese and butter, but next time, I'm going to skip the butter and use all cream cheese.  I really love a strong cream cheese flavor to go with the carrot cake, and using the butter makes it too mild for me.


This was the first of many slices I've had.  There's only about a quarter of the cake left, and I've only had a little bit of help in eating it...  Carrot is good for you, though, right???


This is an apron that Rebekah and I found at Bed Bath & Beyond recently, and I've decided I'm going to copy it and make one of my own.  I didn't actually buy the apron, so I'm going to be working just from this picture, but it shouldn't be too hard.  The skirt is a series of simple box pleats, so it's all just a bunch of straight lines.  Then, if I'm successful with that, I'm going to make a matching one for Elora.  :)  I have no idea when I'm going to get around to doing this, since I have NO energy even for crafting these days, but I will get to it.  Eventually.

As a side note, these pictures were all taken with my cell phone.  Crazy, right?

7 comments:

  1. ohhh carrot cake... I am so hungry!
    Love the apron it's really cute can't wait to see what you do with your version

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh I had some of the best carrot cake the other day! Your's looks wonderful.

    Cute apron!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate your post, thanks for sharing the post, i want to hear more about this in future

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really dream of baking a cake someday. And when I am going to make one, there is always an interruptions so I can't make a perfect cake. Thank you for sharing this post. It somehow encourage me to try again. =D Oh by the way you might like to try a stainless steel biodegradable plates. It is eco-friendly, durable and stylish to boot. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your daughter is so precious! I just happened to encounter your lovely blog by chance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes baking can drive me nuts. I had to laugh out loud and go look at your falling apart carrot cake... the same thing happened to me making pumpkin bread two weeks ago. http://www.theroguewoman.com/2010/12/easy-button.html At least it still TASTED good right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I promise a desire to hope that the friends of mine are happy have not put like oneself happiness with coming the warm Christmas to like in every year's this time sending to my blessing Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete