Thursday, November 25, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving!

My Thanksgiving has been wonderful this year, and I hope that all of you have enjoyed the holiday as much as I have.  We kept it simple, since it was just the three of us.  Instead of a turkey and all the traditional trimmings, I made a yummy pot roast with carrots and potatoes, and a lemon and cream cheese pie for dessert.  It was all super easy, and very tasty!  And, it gave me a chance to use my crock pot for the first time in more than three years.  It was in long term storage while we were in Germany, along with the rest of my kitchen gadgetry.  Hooray for having it back!


I know you can't see it in the picture, but there's actually a two-and-a-half pound roast, carrots, potatoes, onion and garlic in that crock pot.  Once I got it all in the pot, I mixed together a can of condensed cream of mushroom soup, a package of french onion soup mix, and a can-full of water, and poured it over the meat and veggies.  Then all I had to do was turn it on low, and let it go for about 6 hours.  


While I was getting the pot roast put together, my amazing husband made breakfast burritos for us for brunch.  Man, I love breakfast burritos.  And he made a ton of them, so we have plenty left for breakfast tomorrow as well.  When he wasn't with me in the kitchen, he was in the living room, watching Avatar (the TV series) with Elora.  See how nice everything looks in this picture??  It gives you a good idea of everything that we've accomplished, and conveniently leaves out the pockets of clutter that still need to be settled.  Seriously, I am loving my new home.  :)


Elora and I took naps this afternoon, and when I got up, the roast was ready.  All I had to do was to brown the rolls, and get it all on the table.  It was really nothing fancy, but it was hearty and delicious.  That roast especially was scrumptious; there's hardly any of it left! 

 
Brandon set the timer on the camera, and set the camera on the counter to get this one of the three of us.  We didn't think to tell it where to focus, so we're fuzzy, but at least the meat in the foreground is perfectly clear.  Oh well, at least I have my picture.  :) 



Brandon got this video of Elora on his phone this evening after dinner.  It's just too darn cute not to share. 

And finally, here is my top 10 list of things I am thankful for this year, but not necessarily in order:

1) Elora
2) Brandon
3) that my unborn child has survived and is healthy
4) my loving and supportive family
5) the continued health of that family-- specifically that my grandmother's heart surgery was successful, and that my dad's motorcycle accident was no more severe than it was.
6) that we are back in the United States
7) my beautiful new home
8) good friends
9) we get to be home for Christmas AND New Year's
10) all of the technologies that make our lives safer and easier (especially those that allow me to communicate so easily with my family, and those that make cooking easier and more fun)
 
Blessings!

3 comments:

  1. Glad you had a lovely Thanksgiving! Your home looks so nice. Love the french doors. I know all about cropping out the clutter!

    The video of Elora is hilarious!! What a cutie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!!! Bring her to me......... I need a bite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your post! I also made a delicious Pot Roast for Thanksgiving in my slow cooker for the first time! I work with La Cense Beef and I have recently discovered how delicious and healthy Grass Fed Beef is for you. I got my Grass Fed Beef Pot Roast Recipe off of the website and it was just amazing. The meat was so tender and juicy; I think I am going to make it for Christmas dinner as well.

    ReplyDelete