Thursday, February 3, 2011

Look!!! I Did Something Crafty!!

Ok, it was a tiny something, but it was still something!!  I found this tulle in my craft stuff weeks months ago, and decided to use it to make a dress-up wedding veil for Elora.  Then I set it aside and forgot about it until I found it again yesterday.  It really only took me about 15 minutes to feed a needle and thread through one side, and then to sew it on to a little clear comb.  Voila!  A veil!

Unfortunately, Elora refused to model it for me, so I had to improvise.  This is a giraffe that her Aunt Carrie bought for her while we were home, and she has a little tuft of hair that was just perfect for holding the comb on the veil.  The headband completed the look.  Hmm, I'm thinking that maybe Elora should be a little bride for Halloween this year.  :)

That ugly box is full of my "skinny" clothes.  There's isn't room for them anywhere else.

We've gotten more done in the house, too.  At long last, we now have blinds in the bedrooms, and we have a crib in the nursery.  Hooray!  We'd ordered the blinds for the bedrooms at the same time that we ordered blinds for the rest of the house back in November, but we ordered from two different companies.  The first company, Bali, had our blinds to us in less than 2 weeks.  The other company, Levolor, claimed that some of the necessary materials were on back order, and as of mid-January, they wouldn't be ready until sometime in March.  As this was the third time that they'd pushed back the date on us, we decided to just say "forget it".  We canceled that order completely and ordered more of the Bali blinds that we had put up in the rest of the house.  They arrived exactly one week after we ordered them, and the installer got them up for us only a few days after that.   (It's hard to see in this picture because it's so bright, but there is a blind in that window!)

Since our old crib was recalled, we were working with the manufacturer to get it replaced.  They'd initially told us that if we jumped through their hoops that we would receive a $300 voucher to replace the crib with a new one of our choice.  We jumped through the hoops, but instead of sending us a voucher, they sent us a crib.  Apparently, while we were jumping, the "voucher program" expired and the "replacement program" was instituted.  It would have been nice to know that in advance, because we might have tried to jump faster.  Or, at the very least, it would have been nice to have been told that they were changing things up on us.  I was not happy about the change, in part because I had really been looking forward to choosing my own crib, but also because the replacement that they picked out is not white, so it doesn't match.  My OCD is tripping on that one, let me just tell you.  But it is salvageable.  We still need to get a dresser, so I will simply choose a dresser that matches the crib, which, in turn, actually matches the toddler table and swing that my grandfather made, and the rocking chair that my Aunt Christine gave us.   Those things are all being stored at my mom's house for right now, but Brandon's parents will be bringing it up with them when they come this spring.  Take that, OCD!!!

The walls in the nursery are still sadly bare.  Maybe we will get some of that stuff hung this weekend.  And, we have curtains for the bedrooms that can be hung just as soon as we get curtain rods for them.  The casing for the blinds stands nearly 3" from the wall, so we will have to get special brackets for the rods.  I'm hoping that will happen this weekend, too.  I'll post more pictures as we get things done!

1 comment:

  1. I'm happy you did soemthing crafty! You need to make a quilt for your bed now!!!